“Sugar-Free” Products Can Also Be Dangerous For Dogs

It’s well-known that dogs shouldn’t be allowed sugar, but did you know that even “sugar-free” products with other sweeteners can be dangerous for your pet, too?

Various sweeteners, such as those that are found in gum or toothpaste can be bad for your furry friend. The Food and Drug Administration warns about xylitol, a substance that’s often found in “sugar-free” products. Even though xylitol is perfectly safe for people, it can be poisonous for dogs. The FDA received several reports about dogs who died after consuming xylitol in the past few years.

Most of the unfortunate cases happened after dogs accidentally ate “sugar-free” gums, as the FDA claimed. The list of products that may have xylitol includes sugar-free ice-cream, sugar-free cookies, cough syrup, peanut butter, etc.

When a dog eats xylitol, it absorbs it in the blood and it causes a sudden release of insulin. This is risky for dogs and, in some cases, can lead to death in only an hour. Always be careful what you feed to your dog, especially if the labels say “sugar-free” or “low sugar.”